Driving Abroad

If you are going on a trip abroad on holiday or on a business trip, it is a good idea to research well in advance what you need to remember of documents, rules, and other things before departure. We have put together a checklist below and made it easy for you.

Checklist for driving abroad

If you are planning on going abroad with your car, remember to bring the following documents:

Green Card

A green card is an identification towards the authorities of other countries and proof that the car's liability insurance is paid for and covers in accordance with the legislation of that country.

Today, only 10 countries require a green card in the car. These are mainly countries in Eastern Europe, but also countries further south, such as Turkey and Macedonia. The idea is that it should be easier to document that you have insurance on the car if you are involved in a traffic accident. But you may want to have it in the car no matter where abroad you travel to be on the safe side. If you are insured through NF Fleet and are going to drive to one of the countries on the list, you can contact us on tel. +47 67 10 87 40 or kundeservice.no@nffleet.com. Then we will send you the green card as soon as possible. If the car is insured through another insurance company, you should contact this instead.

A green card is normally issued for the period for which your insurance applies. Note: To ensure that you receive the documents on time, we need your order at least two weeks before you travel. Remember to always find out which rules apply in the countries you plan to drive into, because many countries have other rules than Norway. Some countries also require that special equipment be available in the car.

Where and when do you not need to contact SOS abroad?

  • If you get a glass damage, you must contact Hurtigruta Carglass on tel. +47 21 49 22 47 which ensures the course further
  • If it is a question of a minor damage that can be repaired within one working day, such as a puncture or starting problems, you should contact NF Fleet road assistance on tel. +47 22 08 60 00
  • If it is a small repair where you pay for the expense yourself, you must remember to take care of the receipt. When you return home from abroad, you must send the receipt to the insurance department in NF Fleet at kundeservice.no@nffleet.com with a short explanation

If you are in doubt about what to do, you are more than welcome to call us on +47 6 7 10 87 40. Then we will make sure that you are helped well further. We are open from Monday to Friday at 8AM-4PM.

Glass damage in Europe? Use Carglass Europe Service

Use Carglass Europe Service for fast and efficient assistance, if you get a glass damage in Europe, e.g. due to stone chips or forced entry.

Advantages of Carglass Europe Service:

  • If you have got a glass damage abroad, you can contact Carglass in Norway directly on +47 21 49 22 47 and explain in Norwegian what has happened
  • Carglass makes sure that a sister company abroad fixes your car so that you can continue driving. Thus, you do not have to go out and look for a workshop
  • The quality is top notch and is covered by the Carglass companies' international guarantee
  • Settlement is made at the same prices as if the damage had occurred in Norway
  • You do not have to pay cash at the holiday destination and thus use the holiday currency

Read more about Carglass Europe Service here

Claims abroad

The joint European claim form is available today online via an app that simplifies and speeds up the completion of a claim form. It can be a great help in cases, where one is involved in road accidents abroad. Read more and download the app here.

Eco-sticker obligation for environmental zones in Europe

A number of cities in Europe can issue driving bans in environmental zones, if the car is not supplied with a special eco-sticker. You can read more here and order the stickers electronically, if you need it.

Requirements to equipment when driving in Europe

A trip through Europe can raise many questions about equipment for the car, because the legislation differs from country to country. We refer to SOS international to give you the full overview of what equipment is required by law in the country or countries you have to travel through. Read more here.

Rules for the use of winter tires, studded tires, snow chains etc. abroad

There are countries in Europe where it is required to drive with winter tires for a given period. If you often drive abroad, or face the annual self-drive ski holiday in Europe, we recommend that you read more about the rules for the country you will be driving in.